Current MCB funding opportunities
The Directorate for Biological Sciences (BIO) and the Division of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences (MCB) accept proposals to core solicitations as well as special solicitations. MCB also announces its interest in specific areas or alerts the community to new opportunities through Dear Colleague Letters. Below are opportunities which may be of interest to MCB applicants.
- Investigator-Initiated Research Projects: NSF 18-585
- Transitions to Excellence in MCB Research (Transitions): NSF 20-505
Solicitations of Interest to MCB PIs:
- Future Manufacturing: NSF 20-552
- Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER): NSF 20-525 (NSF Wide)
- Integration Institutes: NSF 20-508 (BIO)
- Understanding the Rules of Life (URoL) Epigenetics: NSF 20-512 (NSF Wide)
- URoL: Microbiome Theory and Mechanisms: NSF 20-513 (NSF Wide)
- Semiconductor Synthetic Biology for Information Storage and Retrieval (SemiSynBio-II): NSF 20-518
- National Artificial Intelligence (AI) Research Institutes: NSF 20-503 (NSF Wide)
Dear Colleague Letters (DCL) of interest to MCB PIs:
- NSF Convergence Accelerator: NSF 20-061
- Models for Uncovering Rules and Unexpected Phenomena in Biological Systems (MODULUS): NSF 19-054
- UKRI/BBSRC- NSF/BIO Lead Agency Opportunity in Bioinformatics, Microbiome, Quantum Biology and Synthetic Biology/Synthetic Cell (BBSRC): 19-058. New DCL coming soon in spring 2020.
- Special Guidelines for Submitting Collaborative Proposals under National Science Foundation (NSF) and US-Israel Binational Science Foundation (BSF) Collaborative Research Opportunities: NSF 17-120
- Research Experience for Teachers (RET): Funding Opportunity in the Biological Sciences: NSF 18-089. Supplements may also be requested directly from your Program Director.
- Research Assistantships for High School Students (RAHSS) Funding to Broaden Participation in the Biological Sciences: NSF 18-088. Supplements may also be requested directly from your Program Director.
- Non-Academic Research Internships for Graduate Students (INTERN) Supplemental Funding Opportunity NSF 18-102. Supplements may also be requested directly from your Program Director.
Special Research Funding Opportunities:
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): NSF 20-052
- EAGER/RAPID/RAISE/Conference (by invitation only). All submissions must be made in accordance with the PAPPG: NSF 19-1
- Research Coordination Networks (RCN): NSF 17-594
Opportunities for Undergraduate- and Minority- Serving Institutions:
- Research at Primarily Undergraduate Institutions NSF 14-579
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program (HBCU-UP): NSF 20-542 (NSF wide)
- Improving Undergraduate STEM Education: Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSI Program): NSF 19-540 (NSF wide)
- Facilitating Research at Primarily Undergraduate Institutions (RUI) and Research Opportunity Award (for ROA): NSF 14-579
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU): NSF 19-582
Opportunities for Students and Postdoctoral Researchers: